.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, April 03, 2006

Covering the Death of Indy Car Race Driver Paul Dana

The Miami Herald's Sarah Rothschild wrote about how tough it can be to be covering the racing beat.
Covering Paul Dana's death last week seemed surreal. As I immersed myself in writing several articles for Monday's paper, I barely had time to digest that he died during a pre-race crash.

I had met Paul for the first time on March 2. The rookie reporter and the rookie race car driver. We chatted for a few minutes as he walked to a photo shoot. The topic: Northwestern University, where we both received journalism degrees. We bonded over our similar backgrounds and he told me how he started as an auto racing writer as the first step to pursuing his driving career. I presumed the coming months would allow me to develop a stronger rapport with him.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home